Strong Families is a program focused on helping families develop financial stability through education, skill development and career development.
This initiative connects 80-90 adults and children to personal Success Coaches each year. The goal is to provide each family with the guidance needed to graduate successfully.
The Strong Families program has two key components which make it unique and help ensure success.
- Scheduled Training Program - A 15-week skill-building course is planned for two cycles each year.
- Success Coaching - A case manager is assigned to each family to coach bi-weekly.
Success Coaches guide families through the entire program by:
- working with families to establish and identify reasonable goals.
- providing resources for each family's needs.
- ensuring all families are attending the skill-building sessions.
United Way's String Families team and Sucess Coaches closely monitor goals to:
- monitor progress towards those goals.
- gauge the level of public assistance that the family is receiving.
- refer to other social services as additional needs arise.
To participate in this program, applicants must meet all of the following qualifications.
- Participants are required to have substance abuse and mental health issues under control.
- Participants must be motivated to make positive, long-term changes to their lifestyle. (Long-term shelter or transitional housing is acceptable.)
Become a Strong Families Volunteer!
It takes a village to give over 30 families the best experience while strengthening their finances. Volunteers are always needed to help serve dinner, set up and break down the classrooms, greet the families, read to the children, and so much more.
If you're interested in becoming a Strong Families Volunteer, complete the volunteer form below.
UWMC is working with more than ten non-profit partners, several employers, local colleges, financial institutions and agencies to enhance this program.
For more information on this program, contact Strong Families Director/Success Coach Pebbles Vance: 352-732-9696 ext. 215.