Volunteer Income Tax Assistance


United Way of Marion County is looking for volunteers interested in preparing income taxes for free through the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program.

No experience is necessary.  IRS-certified instructors provide free certification training.


You could help change the life of a low-income working family by volunteering at one of our centers. Volunteers are needed to be tax preparers, greeters, and interpreters. We cannot do this alone. Please invest in the lives of struggling families in Marion County.


Sign up to volunteer by contacting via email: tdewey@uwmc.org or call Tom Dewey at 352-355-1225.




United Way of Marion County offers FREE income tax preparation through various locations. Residents are encouraged to get 100 percent of their taxes back.

Call 2-1-1 (available 24/7) to schedule your appointment.

Prepare for your appointment and bring the following items: 

• Valid picture ID such as a driver's license/state identification for all taxpayers.
• Copy of your prior year's tax return.
• Social Security cards or ITIN letters for yourself, your spouse, your children, and other
• Birth dates for you, your spouse, children ,and other dependents (birth certificates are not
• W-2s, W-2G
• 1099- Misc. from all employers
• 1099 from financial institutions showing Interest, dividends, and any stock sales
• 1099-R forms if retired
• 1099-SSA from the Social Security Administration
• Child care expenses, including the provider's address and Federal ID #
• Mortgage company statements
• Adoption expenses
• Alimony paid or received
• Documentation for the purchase of a home
• Any notices received from the IRS or state tax office
• Property tax bills
• College tuition and student loan interest statements
• Additional forms of income such as:
o Prizes and awards
o Scholarships and fellowships
o Lottery/gambling winnings
For direct deposit of your refund:
Please provide a canceled, blank check, which includes your nine-digit routing number and account number. 
Please note: both spouses must be present to sign the required forms to file taxes electronically on a married-filing joint tax return.

Visit www.myfreetaxes.com and take advantage of the FREE service!


Visit one of our locations listed Below:

dont pay to file taxes


For more information, contact Tom Dewey at 352-355-1225