Children have to learn to read, before they can read to learn.
Nearly 50% of Marion County’s third graders attending public school are reading below grade level. This puts these students at a distinct disadvantage throughout their academic careers. These children are four times more likely to drop out of high school if they continue on this path.
ReadingPals connects passionate volunteers with students who need extra help developing essential literacy skills.
Become a ReadingPal Today
- Commit to spending a 30-minute session with your stuedent pal once or twice per week throughout the school year at 16 different elementary school locations.
- Pass a background check.
- Attend a volunteer training session.
- Get matched to your student pal.
- Work with your student pal to develop valuable reading skills with the provided materials.
- Become a friend and mentor.
- Change a life while enriching your own.
Who does ReadingPals serve?
ReadingPals impacts kindergarten classrooms. Generally, your student will be 5 or 6 years old and will need your help for school readiness. Students will be identified by their teachers at the beginning of the year based on their performance in the school readiness assessment.
How will I help?
Using a blended curriculum of traditional books and flash cards, volunteers will help students work through specific lessons to enhance learning. These lessons will build valuable pre-literacy skills such as rhyming, combining syllables and beginning sounds by reading the book together, answering follow-up questions and other supportive learning activities.
ReadingPals is made possible by Carol and Barney Barnett and The Children’s Movement of Florida.